What does it take to create a successful landscaping website?
A plain and boring website will have visitors hitting the back button and bouncing back. But even the most attractive or fancy site is no good if it doesn’t attract the target audience and convince them to contact and hire you.
The good news is that creating an effective landscape design site isn’t rocket science.
From our experience as a landscape web design firm and having analyzed the best landscaping websites that rank well in the search engines and generate leads, we’ve identified the essential elements of landscaping and lawn care web design that converts.
Whether you’re just taking your business online or revamping an existing site that isn’t bringing results, be sure to include the following features and you will create a website that attracts your target audience and converts them into leads.
Landscaping Web Design Tips: 13 Essential Elements for a Landscaping Website That Brings in Clients
1. Clean and Modern Web Design
Your website is a reflection of your brand. It should portray you as a professional capable of providing top-notch landscaping services.
If the site looks good, it creates a great impression of your brand. A poorly designed and cluttered web design, on the other hand, will give the impression that you’re a low quality landscaping firm.
So how do you ensure your landscape design is clean, inviting, and provides a great user experience?
- The best approach is to keep your landscaping web design clean. Designing a website that creates a great first impression is a lot like landscaping. It entails weeding out the clutter so only the most important elements remain.
- Don’t have too much going on, on a single page. Include only the necessary content, organize it in a logical manner, and keep the chunks of text short.
- Incorporate plenty of white space to create a calming effect and make your site easy to read.
- Make the design consistent. For example, the navigation bar should look the same throughout the pages.
2. Original High-Quality Images of Your Work
Landscaping is a visual topic. Words alone aren’t enough to convey what you do and promote your services effectively. High quality images of your work are the best way to showcase how good your landscaping work is. Photos also make your website more interesting and engaging.
It’s best to feature only your own images. Both human visitors and search engines prefer original images rather than stock photography. It’s worth the investment to hire a professional photographer to take some snaps of your best landscaping projects.
Here are some ideas of photos you can share:
- Before and after images showing your power to transform lawns
- Photos of your best projects organized in a gallery
- Pictures of your team at work can go a long way towards making potential clients trust you.
3. Powerful Copy That Connects with Your Target Audience
The role of your website is to provide your target audience with information about your business and convince them to hire you.
And it’s not just human visitors that love excellent copy. Search engines do too and reward original and relevant written content with high rankings in the search results pages.
Copywriting is the key to persuading visitors to take specific actions such as filling the quote request form. The key to effective copywriting is to brainstorm what pain points your target clients are facing and communicate how you can solve their problems.
Share information about your business history, mission, and values. Explain how you solve customers landscaping problems and share the selling points that distinguish you from other landscaping firms.
Incorporate a blog and use it to offer landscaping advice. You can even review lawn care products. A blog is a great way to drive more traffic to your site, establish your authority in the industry, and offer value to your site visitors.
4. Dedicated Pages for the Landscaping Services You Offer
An overview of the landscaping services you provide on the homepage isn’t enough.
You need to create a dedicated page for each service you offer and link to the pages from the home page. Additionally, its also a good idea to have a page for each of the locations you serve.
These service and location pages are an opportunity to sell your services using both text and images. Furthermore, service and location pages are an effective way to drive organic traffic.
Potential customers usually search for specific landscaping services. Having great content for each of your services will ensure your site shows up for these kind of searches.
5. High-Quality Landing Pages
Your website is the center of all your digital marketing efforts.
Whether it’s organic traffic from the search engines or leads generated from social media ads, it’s the quality of your landing pages that will determine whether a visitor turns back and leaves your site or goes on to explore and even contact you.
The landing pages refer to the pages visitors land on when they visit your website.
The most important landing page is the homepage. Create an attractive homepage that gives an overview of your business, provides the most important information, and encourages visitors to explore the rest of your site.
The other landing pages to optimize include the service and location pages.
6. Simple and Intuitive Navigation Layout
Navigation has an enormous effect on the performance of a landscaping site. It affects search engine rankings and traffic, user experience, and conversion rates.
If the layout is clean and the navigation structure simple and intuitive, visitors will hang out on your site longer and explore more.
Make sure visitors to your website can easily find the information they are looking for by having a simple and consistent navigation structure throughout the site.
For the top navigation, you can adopt horizontal navigation or feature a drop down hamburger menu. Ideally, the vertical navigation bar should be fixed so its always present as a user scrolls down a page.
Additionally, feature links to the most important pages such as about us, contact us, and portfolio in the footer section.
7. Credibility Signals and Social Proof
No matter how attractive your site is and how well it portrays your landscaping work, customers might still hesitate to hire you if they don’t trust you.
You can overcome this hesitation by incorporating trust signals into your web design. So what are these signals you can use to establish your credibility and convince visitors to trust you?
- Highlight certifications to let customers know that you are a professional in the industry.
- Ask your customers for testimonials or create a page where they can leave their reviews. Pick the best two or three reviews and showcase them on your homepage, with a link to the reviews page.
- Embed ratings or reviews from third party review sites such as Yelp, Google Business, and Trust Pilot.
8. Prominently Displayed Contact Details
The main purpose of your landscaping site is to generate leads. The best way to achieve this is to make it easy for potential customers to get in touch with you.
Your website can look amazing. It can do a great job of convincing customers that your services are the best. But you still won’t close the sale if you don’t have a way for the customer to get in touch with you.
Here’s what you can do to make sure your contact information is easy to find.
- Feature your contact details at the top of the page and in the footer section. Drop a contact us link or button throughout the page.
- Provide multiple ways to get in touch: clickable phone number, email address, and a short, easy to fill inquiry form.
- Create a contact page and share all means of contacting you including your physical address and opening hours, location on Google maps, phone number, email address, contact form, and links to social media pages.
9. Compelling Call to Actions
Did you know that websites with simple, clear and relevant call to actions (CTAs) that speak to the target audience are the most effective at generating leads?
The key to creating powerful call to actions is to figure out the goal of each page and what visitors are looking to do next. To create a compelling call to action, decide what action you wish the visitor to take and combine it with the benefit the visitor will get from clicking the CTA.
- Examples of CTAs you can use include text to get a free estimate or schedule a free consultation.
- Do you offer a monthly discount or coupon for first time customers? Highlight it to entice new customers to try your services.
- As for positioning, feature a call to action in the hero banner, at the end of the page, and throughout the page.
- Highlight the buttons in a contrasting color to ensure they stand out and catch the eye.
10. Pricing Details or Free Quote Request Form
Pricing is one of the factors customers consider when making their decision on which landscaping firm to choose. It’s also one of the information potential customers will expect to find out on your site.
If you’ve really competitive rates that set you apart from the competition, you can state what you charge right on the website. You can also make use of a pricing calculator.
Alternatively, you can include a quote request form interested customers can use to find out your price. This is a great way to generate qualified leads for your landscaping services. It will encourage potential customers to contact you.
11. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
The search for a landscaping firm usually starts online. Potential customers conduct a search for landscaping companies in their area. They then click on the top ranking landscaping sites.
A higher ranking in the search engine results pages translates into more traffic, leads, and sales.
You can get your landscaping site to appear on the first page by optimizing your site design and content for the search engines. So how to do this?
- Optimize your design and content to improve your site’s loading speed
- Optimize your content with the keywords you’re targeting
- Optimize your business for local search by creating a Google Local Business listing
- Create a blog and publish helpful content for your target audience
- Install tracking codes like Google Analytics to track traffic stats and gain insights on how to improve your site performance
12. Responsive Web Design
The majority of visitors will access your lawn care website via mobile devices. You will also have visitors viewing your site on desktops and laptops. To ensure a good user experience for everyone, your website should render well on any device.
Responsive web design is the way to go to provide a great user experience for all users. It ensures a smooth browsing experience whether someone visits your landscaping company’s website on a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
Furthermore, Google now prioritizes smartphone indexing and penalizes sites that are not mobile friendly.
13. Links To Social Media Pages
In this day and age, every landscaping website should have active social media accounts. They are an opportunity to connect with past, current, and prospective customers and showcase your work.
Featuring links to your social media pages on your website can enhance social proof if you have a strong social presence or grow your social media pages by encouraging visitors to visit your accounts and like or follow your pages.
Beyond this, you can embed your social media gallery or feed right on your website. This is a great way to include fresh content on your site and showcase what you’re doing.
It’s A Wrap!
A website is one of the most important marketing tools for a landscaping business.
Whether a potential client hears about you from a neighbor or comes across your Facebook ad, they are going to visit your website to learn more about you.
But not just any website will do. So what is the secret to landscaping web design that drives visitors, creates a great first impression, and generates leads?
How effective your landscaping web design will be comes down to the kind of user experience it delivers.
Whether you’re a landscape architect or lawn care professional, make sure that your website makes a great impression by incorporating the above elements of good landscaping web design into your site.
Our team of web designers and developers can help you create a landscaping website that impresses your target audience and wins clients. Contact us today and we will design a custom mockup of your website for free!